Best Hair Restoration Products & Methods
Warning: Illegal string offset 'debug' in /home3/mixinus/public_html/hgv/wp-content/plugins/allow-php-in-posts-and-pages/allowphp.php on line 18
With it becoming a major concern for millions of people, several hair restoration methods have been developed to cater to this problem. There are lots out there, but if you really want the most effective and widely accepted treatment for a severe case of hair loss, there are only three things to consider.
1. FDA Approved Hair Loss Treatments
Many drugs have been scientifically proven to reduce hair loss, but only two items have been approved by FDA as legit hair loss solutions.
- Propecia (generic name: finasteride). This drug is available in 1mg pill form and is only prescribed for men. It works by inhibiting the formation of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone which is the main cause of androgenic alopecia or male pattern hair loss. Studies show that after one year of daily intake, 50% of the patients observed hair re-growth and no further hair loss. With continued intake, Propecia is guaranteed to deliver visible results to at least 9 out of 10 men.
- Rogaine (generic name: minoxidil). Prescribed for both men and women, Rogaine is the only topical brand approved by FDA as a hair loss treatment. It is applied on the scalp and works by enlivening shrunken hair follicles, which in time helps re-grow thicker and healthier hair. Clinical tests have shown that the foam variant of Rogaine helped 85% of men re-grow hair in four months, when used twice daily.
Something to look forward to is another drug called Avodart (generic name: dutasteride). Many dermatologists and hair loss patients consider this to be the most effective treatment for male alopecia. Although the drug has been approved by FDA in treating men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), currently it remains a pending case in the field of hair loss. Scientific studies have proven dutasteride to be a more potent DHT inhibitor than finasteride, so there is much anticipation on the possible approval of this case.
2. Hair Transplant Surgery
For those looking for more permanent results, surgical hair loss treatments could just be the best hair restoration option for you. The most important consideration in this process though, is determining healthy donor areas from which follicular hair units can be moved and transplanted to the bald areas. A qualified surgeon, of course, must be in charge of this process along with a team of skilled nurses and experts. It is essential to know though, that not everyone is qualified to be a surgical patient. Usually, this is only recommended for men, as women are often in a shortage of feasible areas to extract follicles from. We all know that women are generally less hairy, so finding a donor area can be tough.
Common surgical techniques include:
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE). In this method, individual hair follicles are extracted, using a very small punch tool, and transplanted onto to the thinning areas of the head.
- Grafting. This procedure involves sections of skin with follicles attached being punched out and transplanted onto the balding areas.
- Hairline refinement. This technique is often performed on male patients to restore receding hairlines, though it can also be used as a cosmetic enhancement for women. It works by placing very small grafts on a predefined hairline area to restore or enhance a certain look.
For those who can afford it and is keying for the permanence hair transplant can offer, this could be a wise choice.
3. Non-surgical Hair Replacement Systems
For patients who refuse to undergo surgical treatments, and for those who do not respond well to medical hair loss treatments, hair replacement systems pose to be the best hair restoration method. In the context of non-surgical replacement methods, what we usually think of are full wigs, toupees, and hair extensions. These hair systems have been a constant laughingstock for the past decades because of their comedic tendency to fall off or get blown away at the most uncompromising situations. Now, with the advancement of technology, hair replacement pieces are being manufactured using synthetic strands that look natural and almost indistinguishable from natural human hair.
Another fruit of innovation is the development of a replacement technology which involves applying a hair-infused membrane to the scalp. This thin and transparent membrane (usually made of monofilament, polyurethane, or lace) is attached and woven with the existing hair to produce a natural look.
Still, the best and most reliable way to decide on such a matter is to consult with a doctor. With proper diagnosis and professional advice, the burden of hair loss can be lessened. You don’t want to lose any more of your precious hair just worrying about what to do.
Vitamins for Hair Growth
Finding the best vitamins for hair growth is a must, get smarter today!
Hair Growth Products
What kinds of hair growth products should I use?
Best Vitamins For Hair Growth
Learn how to improve your hair or even prevent hair loss.
Stress and Hair Loss
Find out why stress and hair loss often go hand in hand.
Laser Hair Growth
Learn more about laser hair growth or laser hair therapy (LHT)